Website Windward School
This is a Part-Time Position.
Windward School, a grade 7-12 college-preparatory, independent day school in vibrant West Los Angeles, seeks an experienced educator to join our Middle School. Windward faculty and administrative leaders continually seek best practices and educational partnerships to help our students and faculty pursue their passions, engage in cutting edge work, and lead meaningful lives.
Windward’s mission, as a college-preparatory school, is to challenge each student to achieve academic excellence in a nurturing environment. Windward teachers, parents, and administrators work as a team to encourage each student to be responsible, caring, well, informed, ethical and prepared, thus promoting the fullest development of the individual.
The School is looking for a dynamic, innovative debate teacher/coach to join our collaborative team. The successful candidate will have experience participating in and/or coaching debate. The responsibilities for this position will include teaching the Middle School and Upper School Debate class that meet 2 times per week (approximately 110 minutes per week) and taking each group of students to 5-6 weekend debate tournaments and after school scrimmages.
Middle School students participate in Parliamentary Debate. Upper School students have participated in Parliamentary debate, Lincoln Douglas debate, as well as Speech events, including Interpretive, Original Oratory, Extemporaneous.
Summary of Major Responsibilities
● Plan and teach Middle School and Upper School Debate Classes during each division’s Period 8
● Offer a robust schedule of opportunities for students to participate in both Middle School and Upper School debate competitions and tournaments
● Provide additional support outside of class time for students in their research and preparation for debate competitions
● Organize transportation, participation and forms for debate team tournaments and scrimmages in coordination with the Operations team. Waivers for any travel to in-person tournaments should be created and overseen by Operations.
● Handle debate class communication needs for relevant speech and debate organizations, parents and students.
● Maintain memberships and registrations for speech and debate organizations
● In partnership with designated supervisor, develop, track and implement budget needs and expenditures for Speech and Debate program
● Attend all off-campus and weekend tournaments for debate, acting as the lead chaperone and coach for students
● Participate in school events as requested, including but not limited to Back to School Night, Parent Conference Days, and Prospective Student Open Houses
● Maintain a page on Windward’s Learning Management system, and submit grades and evaluations at the end of each grading period according to the deadlines established
● A bachelor’s degree is required
● A minimum of three years of experience with debate preferred
● A demonstrable passion for debate and working with young people
● Excellent written and oral communications skills
● A proven commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of children and young people
● A commitment to creating a welcoming community that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion
This is a great chance to be part of a dynamic, close-knit, independent school culture and community. For more information about Windward School, see our website: www.windwardschool.org.
We offer competitive compensation.
To Apply: All interested candidates should submit a resume, three letters of recommendation and a letter of interest via the link below.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.